Thursday, February 24, 2011

An unusual find

I don't have any alternative source of heating out at the farm, although the trailer has central heat and air and a full compliment of kitchen appliances and a washer and dryer. Won't do us any good though if we lose power.

And, although wood stoves are common enough here, real wood cookstoves are rare. So when I ran across a new Tirolia on Craigslist that had been sitting unused in someone's house since 1976, I decided to take advantage of the opportunity. He wants  $1500 for it...but it is new, and I couldn't beat that price anywhere on a new wood cookstove online.  Tirolias are supposed to be great stoves,although they are no longer made. I was able to find a couple of places that have the grates for them. I should probably buy on of those while they are still available, I guess.

So tomorrow or Saturday I'm going to try to round up a helper and drive the fifty miles or so to the guy's house and pick it up. Did you know those things weigh about 400 pounds?  Fortunately they can be partially disassembled for moving. Why is it that this prepping stuff always makes my back hurt?

I have been investigating solar hot water heating...looks like some pretty good deals on eBay for solar collectors...But that's another project...

No comments:

Post a Comment