Tuesday, February 22, 2011

End of America and other infomercials

Porter Stansberry is a smart guy, and I thought his EndofAmerica video was excellent...up to a point. And that point was when he started trying to sell me something.

I actually had my wife watch this video, because it might be the very best presentation I've ever seen on the challenges we face going into the near future...and it made the case for a number of steps I've been urging her to consider for us as a family. I admire Porter, and I really think he has excellent investment advice. But he publishes different levels of information for different classes of investors at different levels, and the price goes up for the cutting edge stuff.

But, this video is basically an infomercial, baiting you into paying to read some materials archived on  his site. I actually paid the money, and although I won't reveal the exact nature of everything I read, I can tell you that the $ 49.50 only gave me access to material that I had mostly already seen elsewhere for free.

Here's a link to the video. You can read the transcript a lot faster if you want to save time.

See the video here.

So, Porter, I loved the video, but it would have been better if you'd just put it out there as a patriotic act, and not as a way to sell your research. It would greatly add to your credibility.

I'd give the same advice to anybody else with a pay website. Put out good information and let the viewer come to you out of respect and gratitude. Americans are just as tired of bait-and switch marketing as they are of bad government.

No comments:

Post a Comment