Monday, February 21, 2011

Thank you, Howard Ruff.

Until I read Howard Ruff's  "How to Prosper in the Coming Bad Years" I had never given a moments thought to doing anything like stockpiling food for an emergency. But Howard, along with John Wesley Rawles and a few others, made me realize that I needed to have at least a modest reserve of food supplies on hand.

I was so impressed by Howard's logic that I decided to subscribe to his investment newsletter,which I've been reading for the last several months. His investment advice would and will work, although the mining stocks he likes haven't all  performed like they should, I think due the current blatant market manipulation by the Federal Reserve.  But Howard is way to the Religious Right for me, and I find many of his little rants to border on racism.

Still, I owe Howard a lot for making me begin to think.

So I've started prepping for real. I started with a three month supply of food for eight people, which I bought from the people at Pleasant Hill Grain. I am adding to that incrementally. I am trying to buy food with a really long shelf life, because we don't cook much now, and therefore will not be using and replenishing the supplies regularly.

Will I need this, ever? My kids don't think so. And I certainly hope not. But if I do need it...if we need it...We'll REALLY need it. So I don't think it's a bad idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment